TWIN FALLS COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY MUSEUM
DIRECTORS and STAFF:
Steve Westphal - President
Alex Kunkel - Vice-president
Doug Lincoln - Treasurer
Teresa Sept – Secretary
Gary Kaufman – Projects
Andrew Vawser - Media
Laurie Warren – Administrator
October 2018 Newsletter
September 15, the Historical Society took a trip to the east end of Twin Falls County. We spent a few hours at the Stricker Ranch, then toured one of the Twin Falls Canal Company’s power plants and the 10 ft. diameter siphon through Rock Creek. Judy, Curtis and Bee (Friends of Stricker guides) met us at the home site and allowed the group inside all the buildings. They were very hospitable and interested in making this an annual event. From there, we briefly stopped at the Rock Creek Cemetery, and then Louis Zamora from the Twin Falls Canal Company led us to the power plant and both ends of the major siphon through Rock Creek.
The Pioneer Cemetery is just west of the Stricker store and easily accessible by walking on the dirt path. The Rock Creek Cemetery is also the Veteran’s Memorial Cemetery and is about a mile east of the Stricker house. Stricker, Larsen and Crockett are just some of the names on tombstones at the Rock Creek Cemetery. The “Friends of Stricker” group volunteers on Sunday afternoons throughout the summer to allow public access at the site, although you may call anytime to schedule a tour. Twin Falls Canal Company Engineering Technician, Louis Zamora, was a delightful and enthusiastic gide, taking us deep into the realm of the turbines and generators at the power plant. We were also able to see both ends of the siphon and Louis answered every question we could come up with. The group was very happy with the tour and Dick Tucker kept the TFCHS museum open until our return.
Our field trips for 2018 were made possible in part by a grant from the Idaho Humanities Council, a State-based Program of the National Endowment for the humanities.
GRANTS AWARDED: The Janice Seagraves Family Foundation awarded our request for $2,500 for the digitization of newspapers such as the Filer Citizen Record, Kimberly Advertiser and Hollister Herald. The museum has a number of issues currently unavailable through other resources that are of great historical value for researchers and genealogists. Many thanks to the Seagraves Foundation for their continued support of our work. The Clif Bar Family Foundation also sent a letter of award for $1,000 for general support of the museum. This is the second year Clif Bar has awarded the Historical Society a grant. We can’t thank our local 501(c)3 donors enough as these donations expand the range of possible activities at the museum.
HATS, HATS, AND MORE HATS: Museum volunteer Patti Hurley met with Marion Posey to date and categorized some of the many hats in our collection. Many thanks to both!
They discovered ladies’ hats from the 1890’s, a Top hat from about 1910, a hat with monkey hair, hats with ostrich feathers, hats made of fur, felt, wool, straw, organza, silk, plush and velvet. Flowers, ribbons, and Bakelite accessories adorn many, very few are plain. Patti is working on a notebook of photos and descriptions for a sort of “traveling display” so our patrons can transport back in time and imagine what all the ladies and gentlemen would be wearing.
COMING SOON: The County Parks Department used a stump grinder to clear the path for the sidewalk that will take visitors from the museum to the metal auxiliary display building. County Commissioner Terry Kramer made the arrangements for grants from the Rotary Clubs and work is expected to commence in the next few weeks. Arrangements for repair of the heating system are also underway.
NEW ADDITIONS: Several items of interest were donated at the museum this month. A Jubilee Supplement to the North Side News from 1957, donated by Caroline Strom, contains information on the Milner Dam Irrigation Project and the Blue Lakes. We received a number of miscellaneous tools including a boxed socket set from around 1913, donated by Roger Okins. Gary and Lori Allison donated books and magazines that will enhance our publications collection, and also donated a number of tools and sundry items. As promised, Betty Slifer donated a prepared display of family ration books and tokens from WWI and WWII, which won a blue ribbon at this year’s county fair.
Museum Administrator Laurie Warren was asked to make a presentation to the 20th Century Club September 11, regarding prominent women of the past in Magic Valley. Most of the ladies were well versed in the subject, but some new material was covered. Volunteers Larry Koldewey, Mary Burgess and Patti Hurley are also generally available to speak at functions that promote the museum.
A large envelope of old postcards and stereoscope cards arrived recently arrived at the museum. Melba Hirai of Boise donated a variety of very interesting old postcards like the one to the right of the Malad River near Hagerman. Notice the automobile crossing the bridge. Other cards show the Filer Milling and Elevator Company and the city of Filer around 1918. There are also cards of the old High School, Lincoln School and Mount Hyndman.
It’s easy to become a new member!
Annual fees are only $15 for individuals, $10 for senior citizens, and $25 for families. Volunteers are always welcome too.
Membership benefits include access to research materials and the photo collection, discounted rate on materials copied, opportunity to participate in programs and events and availability of the grounds for special uses.
Looking for a special gift? BOOKS FOR SALE: Magic Valley Memories, Sucker Flat, The Perrine Stagecoach, the Badger Thurston series and several other historical books are available for purchase at the museum. (Cash or check only, please.)
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.